Thursday, August 26, 2010

Happy Honey Day!




OMG, I knew it... via Iwillhaveamillionofyourbabies.wordpress.com


Dear God! I almost missed celebrating Honey Day! And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I love bee juice. Incidentally, this post isn't going to be about the urban bee-keeping trend, or a lament about "where have all the bees gone?", or maybe even about honey, much...

That stuff is neat, but I'll let you guys Google it. I'm actually just really excited about a recipe I found. I haven't made it yet, but one of the ingredients is condensed milk, the most delicious form of milk on the planet. My family and I pour it on everything (Peruvians do that). Oh, and the recipe calls for honey, too.

Peach and Orange Honey Pops, from L.A. Times Test Kitchen.


  • 1 1/2 cups full-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup honey (preferably orange blossom)
  • 4 cups sliced peaches (4 to 5 peaches)
  • 2 tablespoons apricot preserves

    1. Place the yogurt, milk, condensed milk, honey, peaches and preserves in a blender. Blend until smooth.

    2. Divide the mixture evenly among the pop molds, pouring so that you leave about one-half inch of headroom at the top. Once they are filled, tap the molds gently against the counter, allowing the liquid to settle evenly into the molds and dislodging any air bubbles that may have formed. Cover the molds and fit with popsicle sticks, if necessary. Freeze the molds until completely firm, at least 5 hours. For easy unmolding, run the frozen pops under warm water for 10 to 15 seconds before removing them.

    Each of 8 popsicles: 170 calories; 5 grams protein; 26 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 6 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 12 mg. cholesterol; 24 grams sugar; 34 mg. sodium.


Wow. They even break down the calories for us. Bravo, L.A. Test Kitchen. Bravo.

3 comments:

  1. I have a hard time swallowing a 170 calorie popsicle... I'd rather have a couple gin and diet tonics.

    However... honey rocks.

    There's an amazing honey from Chicago that's made by prisoners. My g&t-addled brain can't remember it right now, but Whole Foods sells it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make this Frankie... but I'll probably just drink it before it freezes LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reesie, I haven't tried this popsicle yet, but if it's as good as it looks, 170 is a small price to pay!

    Marilise, have you made them yet?

    ReplyDelete