Monday, July 19, 2010

Pattypan Squash! Part Deux




Worth a shot!


I don't take well to failure, so when I noticed one of those pattypan squashes had been left over I had to take a second shot at making it into something edible.

Since discovering my local market sells large Israeli couscous, I've been on a bit of a couscous kick. I enjoy most couscous, but the texture of the larger pearls makes them more satisfying than the small couscous sold in the ethnic aisles of large-chain grocery stores. After a bit of careful consideration (I was hungry and didn't want to wait for my chicken to thaw) I decided that the couscous and the squash would work well together. I threw in dried cranberries for tartness and texture, and crossed my fingers.

The resulting pattypan couscous was surprisingly good, containing a bit of dairy and very little fat. It was a light dish that worked well in the summer heat, but I think adding pumpkin or another winter squash to the mix would make it perfect for fall or winter, also.

Don't get me wrong - I still don't condone the use of pattypan squash on humans or primates ... as this is what the pattypan squash looks like when it's oozing whatever ooze it oozes (below).



Do not eat.


Still, with the right couscous base it's not totally unappetizing.

If you think I'm kidding about the "not-fit-for-humans" line and want to try a pattypan couscous for yourself, you'll need:


  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 cup of Israeli couscous
  • black pepper
  • dried rosemary
  • parsley
  • garlic salt
  • touch of cumin
  • touch of cayenne pepper
  • 3 tbsp of dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup of patty pan squash (Y'all are substituting zucchini)
  • 2 cups of boiling chicken stock
  • slivers of Parmesan cheese

1. sauté the onion in the olive oil at medium heat until it turns golden
2. add the couscous and toast in the pot
3. add spices, sauté for 1 minute
4. add sliced patty pan squash and cranberries
5. pour the boiling chicken stock over the couscous
6. cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes
7. fluff and serve with slivered Parmesan cheese and cranberries
8. salt to taste

Let me know how it goes, kids! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment