Saturday, July 3, 2010

Drink This | Rosa Regale




Looks promising!


I have a confession to make, and I fear that will uncover one of my little prejudices: I cannot respect women who drink overly sweet wine.

Yes, it is mostly women who order these sickly sweet wines in all of these restaurants I've worked in. Both of my readers know the type - she smiles coyly when asked what she'll be drinking and coos, "Oh, I don't like anything too dry. Do you have anything sweet? Riesling? Or a nice white Zin?"

These women have never tasted a full-bodied, sexy wine, and they don't care to.

Current snobbish wino enthusiast wisdom holds that it's OK to drink sweet wine. Indeed, people should drink whatever wines they enjoy and not worry about traditional pairings or any kind of "objective" standards.

I'm not a believer in most kinds of relativism, but wine relativism can be defended, I think, and I'm willing to make exceptions to even my own food and wine rules - which is how I, despite typically recoiling from sweeter wines, agreed to take a sip of Banfi's garnet-colored Rosa Regale at a wine tasting a few weeks ago.

Take a look at the photograph of Banfi's Rosa Regale with a little light shining through the bottle ...



... there was no time to photograph the wine in the glass.


My host at the wine tasting presented the Rosa Regale as the grand finale to a lovely procession of wines - a sparkling dessert wine, light but lively with bubbles and a sweet, rich aroma of berries. It is made from the Brachetto grape, which may be significant or informative to someone other than me.

I took a few sips of the Rosa Regale with small bites of rich milk chocolate. The combination of the raspberry tones in the wine and the chocolate induced a foodie euphoria I haven't felt in a long time. Saying that "wine x" pairs perfectly with "food y" is an overused formula, sure, but it (in this case) is rings true. It just seems natural that these two should be consumed together - so much so that I feel confident saying that this is pretty much the only wine I'll be pairing with chocolate from here on out.

SO, if I'm still single come Valentine's Day 2011, I'll be cuddled up to a fistful of dark chocolate and my own bottle of Rosa Regale, with a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging happily from the door handle of my hotel room!

3 comments:

  1. "If I'm still single come Valentine's Day 2011, I'll be cuddled up to a fistful of dark chocolate and my own bottle of Rosa Regale, with a "Do Not Disturb" sign jammed on the door handle of my hotel room."

    That's pretty much what you do when you're NOT single!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Riesling, and I refuse to apologize for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you don't have to, Cherise! I've read your posts about drinking all kinds of varietals.

    I'm referring to a specific kind of woman who drinks her Chablis/white Zin/Riesling on ice, and doesn't try anything but boring, overly sweet white wines. She's the one keeping wine spritzers alive.

    ReplyDelete